What instrument for vertical measurement?

To determine the required height to install microwave radio dishes, I need to find the heights of obstacles along the signal path, including trees. I see that used surveying instruments go for over $500 on ebay, but I only need vertical measurement. I get the horizontal from GPS and USGS topo maps. What's a good instrument for this that doesn't do more or cost more than necessary?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

HiHo; Try a Abney Hand level.

bestafor

Theodolite with a graduated scale on the lenses.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle