VNA

Today VNA's display the data any way you want. A good place to see an application which you can download. Is on Agilent's site the application is AppCad. The new bit everything S-parameters basically does about what a VNA does to display data.

Current VNA's basically calculate anything you would conceivably want. But remember S-parameters are basically small signal power parameters at

50 or 75 ohms. Having said that you will find waveguide add-ons that take you out into millimeter territory for current generation machines and into high power microwave frequencys (like watts into a device at 6 Ghz).

Vector error correction is basically just mathematical correction. For a home based project a piece of software which you should try to get your hands on was written by Rutledge and co. (at Caltech) which basically did your project using a PC, an HP8410 and an 8350. Another resource available is the Puff software from Caltech (now you have to buy the book)

Your directional couplers just are to bad to cut the mustard.

The goal you have set yourself on is a long and difficult path.

Good luck and Good management.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle

Hi Have been creating a VNA using an HP 3350, 10-2400 Mhz and some trick Analoge Devices` IC s plus a PIC and Visual Basic..........about 12 months so far.

Have learn`t a lot on way but much to learn.

Q. How do normal VNAs display their data? Q. Do typical VNAs measure power information and compute voltage ....and thus voltage S-params Q.Anyone ever tried to accomplish Vector Error Correction ? Not overly hard , but the combinations required for a full set of S-Params are......intimidating. Q. My SMA directional couplers only show an "uncorrected" directivity of about 10 dB..this is not great precision......what can I expect for £50.00 outlay.

Before you respond...I have most HP/Agilent App Notes and and am trying to absorb.

Any help welcome and welcome discussion

Reply to
njkenworthy

many thanks for your response aqnd the two NEW leads offered...I have downloaded the AppCad thing from Agilent and will begin to experiment . What I wuld love to do is take some of the code and paste it in to my App thus saving a tonne of time ...c`est la vie. I checked the Caltek site and V2.1 of thier software seems to be abt $10.00 dollars. I understand that my project is a big bite, but some people can only learn by going over the whole ground themselves.......me. I made a typo error..my sig gen is also an 8350.....I must get hold of the man at Caltech.....

Many thanks for your help.

Nick

months

hard