specific advice on surround repair

Hi, all. Before I state my problem, let me say that I did do an extensive search first and came up with more questions than answers Anyway, the other day after playing some of the Matrix Soundtrack just wee bit too loud, one of my Paradigm speakers started sounding uncomfortably similar to a boat full of fishermen after eating to much pork and beans. I disassembled it and noticed the cone had separated from the surround about

1/3 the circumference. The surround is made of foam and the break is very clean. I was surprised to see that there is zero sign of dry-rot especially considering these speakers are at least a decade old. I have found various suggestions over a number of NGs for using some sort of adhesive to repair the speaker. The most common response is something that 'suspiciously resembles Elmer's glue'. However, a few more sophisticated replies suggested that proper glue IS NOT Elmer's. I am asking for some specific ideas on how to repair the cone with an adhesive I can obtain from my local hardware store or Radio Shack. Yes, I have posted this on a couple of other NGs. Hope the cross-post doesn't piss anyone off. Just wasn't sure which NG was most appropriate. Thanks, MajBach
Reply to
MajBach1

I seriously doubt if you'll have any luck simply repairing the existing surround with any kind of adhesive. The problem will be that your repair will be stiffer than the foam next to it so the surround will break again right next to the repair.

You will need to replace the surround. There are lots of places which can sell you replacement surrounds and they can usually also supply an appropriate glue.

-

Jim Adney