Solution needed for long time spectrum logging 1KHz - 1 MHz

Hi all,

As one of our products seems to be disturbt by a local non permanent EMC problem we need to analyse what is happening on site. We are looking for a solution to make long time ( say 4 weeks) data logging of a spectrum.

Following specs are required:

Frequency span: 1KHz and 1 MHz (min 10KHz to 500 KHz) Bandwidth: 25 dB

I was thinking abt a PC interface with "logging on trigger" We need abt 5 "spectrum logger" so it is getting a bit price sensitive... Has anybody experiance with this cheap PC interfaces using FFT?

Any comment or proposal is highly welcome

Best Regards

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

I don't know specifically what you will require for this job.

Places you might check are as follows:

I don't know if any of the above can solve your problem. However, they may give you an idea of what is possible. They may also be able to advice you on whether a PC interface or standalone test equipment is best.

I don't know if you can do FFT from 1 KHz to 1 MHz. A big frequency span like that takes a lot of computing power. Most FFT spectrum analyzers are from DC to something like 100 KHz.

You may want to also look into getting some kind of power line monitoring. How do you know your problem is EMC?

You will also need to define a trigger condition. If something happens, then you record what is happening for 5 minutes for later analysis.

Aidan Grey

Reply to
Aidan Grey

Hi Thomas,

Why not just using a low-cost 12-bit / 2Msps A/D board in a vanilla PC, then write a small software repetitively getting a buffer of say 2000 samples at

2Msps, then calculating the FFT, then the log spectrum power of the FFT ? You will get a 1KHz resolution from 1Khz up to 1MHz, with around 30dB of dynamic range... Then you will have to define your trigger settings and to log the FFT when the trigger is exceeded. Labview will seems natural choice to develop such algorithms quite quickly.

Let me know if I can help you more...

Yours,

-- Robert Lacoste ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

"Thomas" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

Thank you all for your helpful comments

After further investigation we will have a try with a PC based DSO from picotech which can be used as a FFT spectrum analyser.

Their pre-sales support claims that they can do it. Have a look to their helpul forum for the detailed response

Have a look to

for more details on the product

Best Regards

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

I have a friend who claims to be able to stuff an antenna into his VCR video input. He can then go back and listen to the radio by listening to the video out with a receiver. There are obvious problems with the sync interval, but if you can manage to change tapes every six hours, you might be able to get some useful information from it. Might get you thinking about alternative approaches. Depending on the circumstances, some of the FCC (or equivalent in your country) field guys can be VERY helpful. mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment