Re: What ever happened to service manuals?

You might also try the appropriate newsgroup in rec.photo.equipment, since specific experience with similar cameras is going to be more relevant than general electronics. Some of the people over there are quite technically inclined.

Reply to
Michael A. Covington

wrote

rectifier

the

save

and

serious

being

upon

and

for

gave

back,

she

right

SHHHH!! Don't talk about that!

By the looks of this, they already do! (Or did!)

Local? You might think you're glad that you live a long ways away from Cincinnati. But statistically, Chernobyl raised the incidence of cancer of the thyroid over the whole world. :-(

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I did that first. They ain't much help.

Reply to
Fred

I'd try 2 things:

(1)

and some other well-known Olympus experts on the Web;

(2) posting a thread titled "Olympus C-700 Service Manual Wanted" and not trying to use the long-defunct groups "news.electronics" and "news.electronics.repair," which are still in the list of newsgroups for this thread and are limiting its distribution.

The reason this thread turned into a general discussion of industry practices is that that's how it's titled.

Reply to
Michael A. Covington

Thanks for the tips, Michael.

Reply to
Fred

The shock hazard is trivial, it won't kill you. Won't even burn you, just make you yell abit. I did camera repair years ago and we used to use flash capacitors and charging coils on any hard nose that got transferred in. Just wire it into an open loop between his metal stool and the steel work tables we fixed camera on.(And we used really big caps from the older graflex flashes and old strobonars.) Also I doubt his camera uses anything bigger than "AA"s, not enough energy in those to do much more give you a mild spark even on a small charged capacitor.

Reply to
gothika

You need to stretch your imagination a bit. True, a charged strobe capacitor likely won't kill you. But what happens immediately after getting a zap? Maybe you involuntarily shove that Xacto blade into your thumb, or maybe knock the camera on the floor.

As for battery energy content. I can recall doing a stoopid trick with a Polaroid flat-pack battery; I decided to cut the sheet open to see what was inside. I was amazed to find that, as I was cutting the pack open with a stainless steel scissors, there was enough heat liberated to boil the chemical filling and cause smoke to rise from the pack. OK, not exactly nuclear fission, but not a suggested practice either.

Besides, the OP was a considerably lower than 50th percentile induhvidual, and ignorant persistence seemed to be his leading trait.

Ed wb6wsn

Reply to
Ed Price