Power/current monitoring

I need to find a piece of equipment that can do something pretty basic, but I'm having trouble finding anything -- I hope the people here can point me in the right direction.

I'm working with a small embedded system microcontroller, and would like to be able to sample current flow / power. Ideally, this would be something with a computer interface, where data samples could be downloaded and analyzed. Sampling at 20MHz would probably be sufficient (in fact, it's probably overkill), where I could plot power consumption vs. time. These devices run off AA batteries, so something where I could stick a probe inline with the batteries and record current flow would be ideal (I could use an external power supply too if that makes anything easier).

I have absolutely no recent experience with hardware and electronic monitoring or test equipment, so take it easy on me please -- I actually have a degree in EE, some of which I even remember, but that was a couple of decades and what seems like another life ago....

Any pointers?

--

That's News To Me!
newstome@comcast.net