Need Info/help with a Heathkit Oscilloscope model io 4540

Salutations,

I hope someone here on this message board will be able to help me out. This weekend I picked up a Heathkit oscilloscope (model io 4540) at a local flea market for $10. I got it home and powered it and it seems to be operating and functioning properly. My problem is that it did not come with any probes or a manual.

My questions about this scope are:

Is there a specific type of probes that are used with this Oscilloscope, or are they universal? Where can I purchase a set of probes for this Oscilloscope? Does anyone know of a place where i can obtain a manual for it?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me ouy.

Ren.

Reply to
Ren,

.

You can buy copies of the manual from

or

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

the

Thanx for those websites Dave.

Now all I need to do is track down some probes.

Reply to
Ren,

Ren-

As I understand it, there are two main types: direct and low capacitance. (You might also want an RF detector probe.)

The low capacitance probe has a voltage divider with a variable capacitor so you can adjust the division ratio at higher frequencies. Some scopes supply a square calibration waveform for use in adjusting the probe, so the waveform is flat with no peaks or rounded corners.

Such a low capacitance probe must approximately match the input resistance and capacitance of your oscilloscope. Typically you will multiply a reading by a factor such as ten, to find the actual voltage.

If you come across such probes at a Hamfest, there is a good chance they will work.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie