Metcal RF Generator

My RFG-30 quit on me a week or so ago, so yesterday I decided to look into the problem. After removing 8 screws holding two bottom covers I was able to slide out the front and back dress panels for very limited access to fasteners. I couldn't find any way to unfasten the top cover which would allow separating the two halves of the case, but that turned out to be unnecessary. The single power transistor, an IRF130 TO-3 case FET was mounted with nuts on studs that came up through the mounting holes. One end had a Nylon shoulder washer under the nut but the other end made electrical contact with the case and was found to be barely finger tight. Since that had to be the drain connection to the device, I gently firmed up that fastener and reattached the cables to test the unit - - back in operation. I was particularly impressed with the toroidal power transformer in the base - - that had to cost the manufacturer some serious cash. If anyone knows how to remove the plastic top panel, please be generous with that knowledge and help improve the serviceability of this excellent product.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Olson