Instrument to detect start-up surge

I'd like to be able to determine exactly what the start-up surge of power to an appliance (air conditioner)mite be. Not just this appliance but any. The problem is this particular socket works with most things in our house i.e.. vacuum cleaner, lites, radios etc. But one a/c I have will always blow the fuse (on start up) on only this socket. Any other socket is fine. The problem is easily avoided, yes; all I need do is switch a/c with a newer one I have that is energy efficient and probably has some electronics designed to avoid problems like this. However I got to thinking it would be cool to be able to measure the start up current as well as consumption of electricity of any particular device in my house. What would be the easiest, cheapest method to accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated. thx

Reply to
Seeqer