Inkjet ink level sensing?

One source I found says that Canon uses light from an LED--bounced from a
prism at the bottom of the cartridge after ink is depleted--to trigger the
"Empty" signal. Epson apparently counts the spurts of ink and calculates the
arrival of "empty".

I couldn't find how HP do this. Anybody know?

Thanks.

Re: Inkjet ink level sensing?
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

I believe HP just estimates based on the cartridge type it detects, and
the amount of ink it uses.

Re: Inkjet ink level sensing?
underneath :

Any inkjet that uses chipped cartridges guestimates the emptiness.  Old
Canon printers certainly used the reflective prism, IP4000 was about the
last that had unchipped carts. and thus had an accurate end level
warning.  I think most printers now would guestimate on the safe side
judging by the complaints of half full carts being classed as empty. I
dont know if Canon still uses the prisms on their modern chipped carts
but I would think probably not as the guestimate method gets you to buy
more ink earlier! Someone with one of the more modern Canons will know
Im sure! ... HP have had chips since very early days so levels will be
guestimated by software.  C+

Re: Inkjet ink level sensing?
My old(?) Canon MP 620 uses chipped cartridges as far as I know and when
I get an empty signal -the cartridge is fully emptied.

--
Don Kelly

remove the 'cross' to reply directly

Re: Inkjet ink level sensing?

HP has two methods.  One is to just guess based on usage:
<http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00216780
The other adds an expiration date to the cartridge:
<http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01764161
Both suck.