HP 1222A scope generates sawtooth instead of flat baseline

Hi,

Yet another scope in trouble ...

HP 1222A. Has always been working fine, but recently (after a longer pause) it suddenly has developed a "sawtooth" baseline.

- periodicity ~9 ms, int'y ~1 graticule

- both channels are equally concerned

- A/B gain setting or grounding does not change amplitude

- both channels can be moved up/down w/o problems

- input signal overlays the "sawtooth"

- sawtooth reacts on trigger (or vice versa ;-)

- sawtooth becomes "steeper" if moved beam is moved to the lower part of the CRT

Power supplies:

+95 V adjusted, OK +210 V reads +219.5 V +12 V reads +14.20 V, -12 V reads -14.25 V (at least symmetrical ;-)

I suspect that the input channels are OK and that the problem is probably related to the vertical deflection (or sweep?).

Before diving into the circuit ... does that ring a bell ... anybody?

Please feel free to contact me either via the newsgroup, or per direct mail.

Thanks in advance for any help, and greetings from Lausanne!

- Joerg

[ xpost to s.e.equipment & s.e.repair, f'up to s.e.e. ]
--
joerg dot hau at swissonline dot ch * Lausanne, Switzerland
http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/joerg.hau/

Joerg Hau wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@54693.user.dfncis.de:

Did you check for ripple on those DC supplies? Are the regulated supplies actually regulating when you vary mains voltage with a Variac?

Also,do you have a service manual or schematics?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Hi Jim

Admittedly I did not even think of this before (the values were "approximatively correct" and steady) ... and indeed, there is a fat ripple of about 2.2 Vss on everything except the +95 V supply. Now I've really got something to start with :-)

BTW, I've put a picture of the patient showing its symtoms at . The different slope of the two traces is only is due to the different position on the screen.

I don't have a Variac :-(

Yes, but I thought I'd ask here first ... I'm pretty well used to work _with_ a scope, but much less _inside_ of it ;-)

Thanks!

- Joerg

--
joerg dot hau at swissonline dot ch * Lausanne, Switzerland CHANGED
"All standard disclaimers apply".
remove "nospam." from my address to reply
(this became necessary due to increasing SPAM)
Reply to
Joerg Hau

Sounds like Ripple on one of the power supplys. Check with another scope, or with your meter on AC mode. Check the supplys for ripple. Probably a bad filter cap in a power supply.

Reply to
Crcard53762