How to test HP 5221a electronic counter

I am very sorry if this question is too "ignorant" for this group - if so, please let me know.

I just picked up a surplus HP 5221a "Electronic Counter" (I assume it is a frequency counter). I bought it mostly because the nixie tubes caught my eye, but I'd like to make it do something useful (If it even can - it has a "JSC Calibration Rejected" sticker - I'm assuming JSC is Johnson Space Center based on the "Property of NASA" sticker elsewhere on the device).

What is the proper sort of input to the BNC connector? Can I just hook up an RF transmitter? Is there a limit to what power and/or frequency should be used? Also, I understand (I think) the meaning of the .1 and

1 Hz selector positions, but what are the "open" and "closed" selectors?

Thanks, sorry of the complete lack of knowledge - I've googled all night and haven't been able to find anything too useful.

Dan

Reply to
dmorriso

The signal level should be in the range of 100mV to 1V RMS; sine or pulses at a rate from 0.1 cycles per second (need that 10 second count for that rate to maybe work at one count) to 10 megacycles per second; might work higher tho. Note i used the older term "cycles per second" as that is most appropiate with non-sine waveforms (remember, i did mention pulses). I think that the "open" and "closed" relates to the use of a manual gate; it has bee a feq daze since i have seen and used one of those beasties. Reliable as all heck; likely only a minor problem with the one you have.

Reply to
Robert Baer

if

it

even

is

elsewhere

hook

frequency

and

The PRR - pulse repetition rate - is in, of course, pulses per second.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th