Do Ultrasonic cleaners work.

Does anyone know if those Ultrasonic cleaners really work. It's the type which uses a small stainless steel bath(and water) and high frequency vibrations.

I have one but can't see any difference when I take the "cleaned" things out.

Tried adding a few drops of dishwashing liquid to the water but doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Thanks for any advice.

Boozo.

Reply to
Boozo

I have made LCD glasses using such a bath, but to clean things properly, I used

  1. acetone.
  2. diluted alcohol
  3. pure alcohol.
  4. isopropyl alcohol(100%).

Each stage for a few minutes. The reason for all the different fluids is that you need different solvents for all sorts of dirt. Using soap water is a bad idea, because that leaves a monomolecular layer of soapmolecules on the surface. And that very quickly degraded the LCD cell. Oh and I used a motor with a ?vacuumsucker?? to centrifuge the glass dry, to get a minimum of residu layer. So yes, those baths are usefull.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Yes they do.

Try suspending a strip of aluminium cooking foil in it. The ultrasonic agitation abrades the surface and should make holes in it after a minute or two.

Maybe your cleaner is crap or broken.

Reply to
nospam

In message , Boozo writes

Is it working? Things get dropped into them and the ceramic comes partially unstuck, they still make the right sort of buzzing noise though.

--
Neil J. Harris
Reply to

The manual said to add a few drops of washing liquid to help the cleaning process so was only following orders. Makes sense that different dirts needs different solvents to assist in cleaning.

It's only a cheap($100) hobby version but can't see why it wouldn't work if not damaged.

Saw a show last week where an electronics manufacturer used one for cleaning various boards etc... so assume there must be some truth in their operation.

Thanks again, Boozo.(am actually a tea-totaller).

Reply to
Boozo