Dielectric Constant Standards of Materials?

Hi

I have searched the web and found many lists of dielectric constant lists. However, non of them make ref. to where they acquired the information from.

1/ Can anyone tell me where I can find the dielectric constant tables for different materials at dif. temps. 2/ What frequency do they use for measuring the dielectric constant value for example if you look at the chemical datasheet for say IPA it says the dielectric constant is equal to 18.3 @ 25 degC. However, they do not say what the frequency is? What is the standard method for measuring dielectric constants; as it value changes as frequency changes with some materials?

Cheers

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Yes, my Reference Data For Radio Engineers lists dielectric constant at various frequencies from 60Hz to 25GHz. My CRC Handbook refers to the values as "limiting values at low frequencies", and points you to NBS Circular 514. They give the values at 20 and 25°C and give the nominal tempco in the vicinity of room temperature. Internet sources often omit references and other pertinent data that you'll find in printed reference books.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Is there a standard body that list them such a NIST (although I can not find anything on NIST)?

Cheers

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Standard bodies generally don't go as far as dealing with properties of each individual material. They only deal with the fundamental units such as time, weight, distance etc. Anything beyond that would require a hiring spree on their part and a huge tax hike, something we all don't want ;-)

Also, the formulation for certain materials is not under their control but under that of companies such as Dupont who can change parameters at any given time.

Take a mundane material most common to folks like us, FR4. I had boards where a simple vendor change caused the dielectric constant to veer a little bit while both vendors insisted it was FR4.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Dielectric Constant Standards of Materials?', on Sun, 26 Sep

2004:

I don't suppose too many people would object to the hiring spree, but the tax hike is quite another matter.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate