Baker AWA12000 - Advanced Winding Analyzer III - trying to archive hard drive

I have a customers AWA12000 in the shop and found the first problem - a bad lithium battery - however when I have tried to archive the hard drive I find that the Baker software won't run on any of my copies. So I assume the drive has some sort of copy protection.

Baker no longer services this machine (obsolete) and will not provide ANY service information unless you are a member of their service organization. Baker was bought out by another company, but I'm calling it Baker as they built the thing.

So, the operating system is W2K, the copies boot up fine, they just won't run the Baker code. I consider this fair use as we are just trying to protect the companies investment in this tool (cost $18,000USD when new back in 2000) as the replacement units are now $40K USD! The customer does not have the backup floppies for the original code, but does have the licenced W2K CD.

I tried first with Miray's Dolly - no success at all, so I then tried my CSC HDS-4000 IDE duplicator, which made copies and claimed no errors, but these are the ones that work until I try running the analyzer code.

I figure this is some sort of soft sector copy protection, so don't want to run Spinright on the drive as that may 'fix' the problem and leave us with a big door stop.

Anyone familiar with the CSC duplicator and knows some tricks that might help?

Thanks!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Can you describe what you're doing? So this is a sector-level backup. So, the serial volume ID is the same, right?

C:\Users\kaz>dir Volume in drive C is Local Disk Volume Serial Number is 5E2C-F3E2 ^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

It turns out I just wasn't waiting long enough for the IDE copier to finish the job. I now have working backup/archive drives. If there is a serial number it has been copied over.

Thanks for getting back to me though!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Why not? What is the nature of the feedback you get from the copier about progress/completion, and how did you eventually realize the mistake?

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

I wasn't that familiar with my copier - just bought it, and the operators manual does not tell you much about the operation of it. Nothing on the error messages, nor did it mention that it shows "Copying Down, power Down" 12 HOURS after it shows 100% copying 40GB drives.

It is a CSC HDS4000 IDE drive copier.

I've asked the factory if they have any more info on the duplicator that they are willing to share, but considering that this was made in the 90s they may not have anything left other than the operators manual PDF.