40 MHz Radio transmitter boost

Hi, Can someone please tell me which component to adjust/change to increase the range of my 40 MHz transmitter in my remote control car? (Don't tell me to use a signal booster or better antenna at the receiving end, I don't want to do this - I want to boost the transmitter.)

Thanks AA

Abdul Ahad

It's not that easy and possibly illegal to boost power output. The output power of transmitters for model control is limited by the Radiocommunications Agency

If you have a good quality make of equipment (Futaba etc) the range should be almost out of site so perhaps there is a fault with your system?

If you want to experiment try increasing the length of the Tx aerial - but don't blame me if...

a) the output stage overheats and fails b) the cops arrive claiming you are interferring with the local air traffic control. c) the local model car club turn up to complain you are interferring with their cars.

This site has info on other users of the 40MHz band.....

Note that "Exempt from licensing" does not mean you can do what you like.

Reply to
CWatters

If the OP has an old style (crystal) set, he might need to retune it if he changed the crystal.

Reply to
A E

I think all modern 40MHz sets with changable xtals are of sufficient quality that crystals can be changed without needing retuning.

A damaged xtal might be a possibility? A damaged Rx aerial might be as well?

Most likely he has one of these micro cars that have become popular in recent years. I believe they are very heavily cost engineered and not intended to have huge range.

Reply to
CWatters

I wouldn't start with the transmitter from a toy car!

Love your web site. Haven't laughed so much in ages.

Perhaps you need to visit ebay for some radar parts

CWatters

Glad you enjoyed my site, that's what its there for. Your recommended link on e-bay was not so funny though. I suggest you bookmark my website and visit frequently if you want to be kept informed?!

One day, hopefully in the not too distant future, you may read a headline there along the lines of: "AA Institute's Department of Communications unveils new Interplanetary Space Surveillance Radar (ISSR) installations 35,000 km above Earth!"

AA

Abdul Ahad