WinCVS & CVSNT

Hi, just starting up a version control system at my company and wondered if anyone is using WinCVS & CVSNT and what do you think of them? Are there any useful forums for them? thanks

Reply to
Rob

I don't know, but I can recomment tortoiseCVS. It's very easy to use. See

cheers,

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

You might want to look at subversion

as an alternative to CVS. There is a "tortoiseSVN" as well.

Reply to
David Brown

You should do this _today_. The pair have saved my butt many times.

The most important thing to do is sit down and think before you implement. Have a good plan for organizing all the code. Come up with a naming scheme. Come up with a cutoff date; don't "ease into it". A better approach is to say, "After 1 July, all code must be controlled by the repository." Then do it. Don't forget to get the repository added to the backups! It's got ALL YOUR CODE. BACK IT UP.

CVSNT will also store HEX files, so if you want to track those, you can.

Make sure that you're using a server-capable OS. You can use Win2000 Pro as the server, but not XP. XP will be fine as a client.

You should also get WinMerge while you're at it. It will show you the differences between the local file and the repository file. This will save you an incredible amount of time if you're trying to find out what you've changed and where the bugs have come from.

Yes, with their own server. At least, that's how it used to be before CVSNT started charging for support. Google for "CVSNT walkthrough" or "CVSNT wiki". It's been about a year since I started the repository here, so I've forgotten exactly how to do it.

I wholeheartedly agree. Use TortoiseCVS. It's so amazing, I'm surprised that they don't charge for it.

--
Magnus McElroy
Electrical Engineer (EIT)

I've been using tkcvs, and it's pretty nice.

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

I would also recommend subversion. If you use visual studio, there's also a plugin for it called AnkhSVN.

Subversion is nice because it can rename directories (unlike CVS) :)

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith