why address pin 14-15 tied for a 27c256 ROM ?

my microcontroller board has installed a 23256AC (i.e. 27c256 style) ROM chip with 8031 MCU...

I traced the ROM chip's pins to be (reasonably) sure that i was selecting a correct/compatible eprom chip setup for ***reading*** this ROM chip on an e(e)prom programmer, as the programmer did not show direct support for the chip.

When tracing connections i found that (pin 1 - NC) on the chip was tied to (pin 27 - A14) and these connected to (Addr 14) on the MCU

is there a design reason for doing that, maybe prevent using a

27c512 chip for example ?

so for different ROM chips that means that

Chip Pin 1 -> Pin 27 = ?result/purpose?

23128 NC -> PGM = no prob 27c128 Vprog -> PGM = ???

23256 NC -> A14 = no prob

27c256 Vprog -> A14 = ???

27c512 A15 -> A14 = **???

Does this mean i can not use a 27c512 chip ? or maybe it is a simple way to prevent a floating address line ?

any ideas on this greatly appreciated, robb

Reply to
robb

Maybe it has some advantages (I'm just a hobbyist and not a hardware guy), but I guess the same effect could have been achieved by tying the NC pin to GND?

If the reason for wanting to use a higher capacity chip is that these are more readily available, you could IMHO use a 27c512 if you keep within half the capacity (32K) and program those it twice into both "halves". That is contents from 0x0000 to 0x7fff should be the same as from 0x8000 to 0xffff.

Half of its memory would be wasted / redundant.

If the reason for wanting to use a 27c512 is the additional 32K, then you'll have to cut the A15->A14 trace and somehow get the A15 address line from the CPU bus to the chip. (Make sure that it is not used otherwise though, e.g. as a simple enable line for some other memory mapped hardware, to save address decoding hardware)

Regards, Gilles.

Reply to
Gilles Kohl

I forget the reason, it's been ages since I used an Eprom rather than parts with internal flash memory but there was some good reason for it IIRC.

Yes, it may stop a 27512 being used on that board.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, you can use a 27C512, or a MTP equivalent such as SST27SF512. All you have to do, is duplicate the 256K code, in both halves. Then, when A15 flips, an identical code copy is found.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville