Which uC for VoIP

Hi,

I'm going to port a VoIP application (with security and a bit of DSP stuff) to a rather small embedded platform. So far, two good candidates are IXP425 and MPC8541E (both running at 500Mhz), though the older MPC8272E is still appealing. I can only spend time on one but I have no experience with neither of them. Actually I cannot figure out how to compare these new light-weight "network processors" from Intel to the classic CPM-based chips offered by Motorola. Could someone give me a hint? I studied the specs, but still I have no clue. I'd need to hear from who already had the chance to test their real performance.

Thanks

Reply to
Legrandin

We bolted a TI TLV320AI22CPT VoIP codec onto an MPC8250 running at

250MHz. Our customer (who has ported Linux to our SBC) hasn't complained, so it must be working OK. We also have QNX running on this platform.

The integrated security hardware in the MPC8272 looks interesting, but I have to wonder how much effort would be required to build Linux/QNX/whatever drivers to support it.

================================

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

"Greg Neff" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Why use a "general purpose" chip, when there are lower cost dedicated VoIP chips around? They should be more optimized and thus more cost effective.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

You are right, they are, but in my case price is not a major concern (because of the little volume) and I am more interested in VoIP solutions belonging to a family of long-lived, widespread and well-supported uC.

Reply to
Legrandin