what schematic and component library for FreePCB ?

Hello,

I need to upgrade all my PCB SW and FreeCPB looks OK for me (even though it forces me to stay on ms-windows). However it's only an element in the tool chain, so what free software can work (interactively if possible) with FreePCB ? I've been using an old EAGLE (the "gratis" version) too long and it does not fit my growing needs anymore...

thank you for your help, yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to

If you don't want Windows, switch to Kicad or gEDA.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Are they mature enough today ? Do they provide enough functionalities to design serious things ? It seems that there is so much choice or offerings with the tools that no choice is possible :-(

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to
whygee

Serious? How about satellites? There are gEDA-designed boards out in space right now...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

"whygee" schreef in bericht news:4a3157ad$0$292$ snipped-for-privacy@news.club-internet.fr...

TinyCAD can output netlists that can be processed by FreePCB. I do all my camera designs with this combo.

Antoon

Reply to
Antoon

and how does it work for component libraries ? When there are two different tools, the issue might be to generate a description that suits both schematics & layout.

(sorry if "I don't do my homework" but I'm too busy on too many fronts)

thanks,

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to
whygee

I have run a lot of ms-windows software on Wine (linux). I have not tried FREEPCB yet, and would be interested to hear how that goes. If you prefer linux, it is worth a try.

That much is sure, all file format in FreePCB make sense and are hackable to a large extent. I have been doing some direct editing of board layouts. It works together with CVS great, and diff's make sense.

Groetjes Albert

Albert van der Horst

Here's what the developer has to say:

*-*-*-under-Linux-*-using.Wine+Importing.Netlist.Fi=les.into.FreePCB+1A+A1A+Microsoft.Windows+netlist.file+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*.=*-*-*.*-*-will-have-*-make-the-netlist.*.*.*-*+schematic.editor+*-*-*-tedio=us+Allan.Wright+*-Macintosh.*.*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-*.*.*.*-*-recognized-by-FreeP= CB#3
Page 3

Reply to
JeffM

"whygee" schreef in bericht news:4a32a623$0$298$ snipped-for-privacy@news.club-internet.fr...

my

Both programs have their own libraries, and for most components I use I have (had to) design my own objects. Fortunately both programs make it really easy to roll your own.

Antoon

Reply to
Antoon