What makes an IDE device bootable

Greetings - I am hoping to throw out the CF cards that our systems are currently booting off of and replace them with a micro-SD/transflash memory card. I found this really nice looking single chip solution:

- but I have no idea if it would be possible to boot off of it. How can you tell? If it matters - our systems are running QNX.

Thanks!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

That's more an issue of what the bootloader/firmware in the device requires than a feature of the IDE device. The same device that boots in an IBM PC just fine probably wouldn't be considered bootable by, say, a Unix workstation or an Amiga.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

solution:

but I have no idea if it

What -typically- makes an IDE device bootable is the contents of sector 0. This is absolutely dependent on your BIOS, of course.

emulates an IDE device, so "in theory" you should be able to boot from it the same way you boot from your CF cards (provided that you're running your CF in IDE mode.)

If it were me, I'd buy one of these: and try it!

G.

Reply to
ghelbig