What is this chip? MVS PCOC1

It's pin compatable with an 8051 yet has flash and runs a subset of Athlon/Pentium instructions AND has a built in bios.

My first guess was that it was a ZFx86 but I'm not sure. Anyone?

Kenneth Lemieux

It sounds like vaporware. But in any case the "subset of Athlon/Pentium" looks like 8086 (at a very quick glance).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

MVS Support person said it was an 8051 with 8086 instructions but he couldn't or wouldn't tell me anymore.

Reply to
Kenneth Lemieux

Did they say if it was a CHIP, or a Module ?

Certainly is a strange animal :

First there is the clock speed, it's not easy to create a

1MHz/4.77MHz/7MHz x86 these days!

Then, the memory is just 6143 bytes of Code?! - and RAM is just 511 bytes.

and it is not clear just HOW it talks with the VGA ?

Thus it looks to me like a student project brief : To create an x86 emulator, using a SiliconLabs TurboC51 core uC or similar. The low speed, and miniscule resource would match that.

They show 830 opcodes, so it's like the Byte code of Java, or .NET, but I do not see any MUL or DIV opcodes.... :)

This would have educational merit, but can't think of any commercial use ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

It's a chip not a module. Any of the embedded microprocessor can run at various speeds using the internal clock. I think thier description says that the 7Mhz version requires a crystal which is in line with Atmel AVR's. Most of MVS's other products are just programmed Atmel chips so I wouldn't be surprized if this were also.

The support person said specifically that it was an 8051 with an 8x86 instruction set which he also said you couldn't get here but you could get in China. Not sure I know what to make of that statement.

Apparently MVS has been selling this for years as part of their credit card computer and have only now just started selling it as the chip alone.

I'm just curious enough to order one so I can peel of the sticker. I'm betting that it, like you say, is a flash microprocessor programmer with an emulator.

Reply to
Kenneth Lemieux