[Way OT] dieresis

In Ubuntu, it's System, Preferences, Keyboard, then the Layouts tab and select "Layout Options". On other modern distro's it's probably something similarly logical. If you are using an older or more minimalistic window managers / desktops, there are settings in the X configuration files to get the same effect - the same goes for when working without X.

Then you press something like:

Reply to
David Brown

You need a hidden file called .Xmodmap in your home directory.

Here's mine:

! clear caps lock remove lock = Caps_Lock add Shift = Caps_Lock !remap windows key keycode 115 = Multi_key

"Multi_key" is synonymous with "Compose key"

You might want to keep the caps lock, if so, comment out lines 2 & 3 with a "!"

Run dumpkeys in an xterm to see the compose key sequences. A few may not work.

I've also gotten a program that you run from .Xclients-default that will put numlock on when you start X.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Alas, there is not such in my home directory.

with

put

What Distro/edition do you use? I am transitioning from opensuse 10.3 to opensuse 11.1. There is a lot = of X=20 changes under the hood.

Reply to
JosephKK

It isn't really a distro. it started out as bits of RedHat 6, with additions, back in 2000. Since then it's had many changes of libraries, and about 12 kernel changes and rebuilds total.

Started with a 2.2 kernel, now 2.4.19, which supports everything I need.

Unrecognizable as a distro. There's bits of Debian and Slackware in there,too.

Most of it was compiled from source on the target machine.

Now on its third set of hardware, and maybe fifth HDD. Aren't dd and GNU parted wonderful? Originally it was spread across two smallish HDDs.

Once I get something working the way I want it, I see no reason to change. No major changes for a couple of years.

Only reason I'd ever change X version would be if I wanted support for dual head, which for me means never.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

El 05/03/2010 12:36, Boudewijn Dijkstra escribió:

What an American calls an American is also very ambiguous to me. Indeed, most Americans speak Spanish, not English :-)

Reply to
Ignacio G. T.

You're an exception. :>

Most folks have a hard time figuring out when to use a *comma*!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I think that's why USEnglish is so wonky. Too much "stolen" from other languages and then bastardized over the years. (though I heard a recent commentary alleging USEnglish is truer to "old" UKEnglish than current UKEnglish is, today).

Couple that with regional differences (unavoidable with a land mass of this size) and its a wonder *anyone* can understand it!

But you can usually phrase a question so one of the "W-words" introduces it (at least for notes).

There is no claim that it is any *particular* god. Most dictionaries qualify the "G" definition to be "In monotheistic religions..." so they cover their bases. I guess the real zinger is the existence of the word itself (regardless of case) in the eyes of atheists :> (but, then again, how would you describe what you *don't* believe in if you couldn't put a name on it?)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Well, those in the deep South can be pretty thickly accented.

Then again, those in the UK can be pretty thickly accented, too. How is it even possible that so many dialects are spoken on an island the size of Michigan (where, as far as I know, only two dialects are spoken, the odd one out being the Yoopers, eh)? We aren't even English and we speak the language better than the bloody English! ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Only to an idiot.

Even in America.

Reply to
krw

lot of

The Suse 11.1 kernel is 2.6.27.45...

So it is the Fred Abse version (not distributed).

change.

Oh. Which X are you running?

I tried dual head for a while but quit when widescreens started getting=20 reasonable in price. Currently using a 24" 1920x1200@60Hz.

Reply to
JosephKK

The point was that somehow monotheistic religions seem to deserve the great G, while the others are left with a mere g.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

I guess it's all relative. They would consider "yanks" to be the ones with the accents. :>

I grew up halfway between NYC (strong accents) and Beantown (also strong -- though different -- accents). I *claim* I have *no* accent :> Yet, quite obviously have very regional speech traits (folks from my home *town* say things different from surrounding towns).

What I find most amusing is the *terms* we use for different items. And how they vary from region to region. E.g., I grew up with the concept of a "packy" ("package store" -- short for "packaged liquors"). Yet, using this term in many parts of the country has met with puzzled stares.

Ooooo... "Dem's be fightin' werds!"

Though I am still puzzled by "Aluminium" (I originally thought this to be a friend's mispronunciation of "Aluminum" -- but it is apparently how the Brits say and spell it!)

And the appeal of "brilliant" just seems to escape me entirely :-/

(I never did get a good answer to their term for "soda")

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Well, when it comes to religion, most folks assume *they* are right! :> I recall puzzling over this as a young child: "If 'we' are right, then what about my (close) friends who believe otherwise?" Amusing how easily people gloss over these details when introducing religion to kids!

I was always taught that lower case g was a "concept" -- like

*an* internet -- whereas uppercase was a (proper noun) specific case -- like The Internet.

I no longer suffer from these problems. :>

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Grrrr.... a *better* comment would have been: "But I'm feeling MUCH better, now!" (channeling John Astin)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Lithum? Beryllum? Sodum? Potassum?

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

2.6 kernels are a much different animal to 2.4 Not that practical to "upgrade" from the one to the other.

If you like. The whole beauty of Linux for me is that you can get it to do things the way you want, rather than the way someone else thinks you should.

One reason I did it this way was to get some deeper insight into how things actually work

X11R6 from about 1999

Just 19" CRT here. I don't like LCD much.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Lanthanium? tantalium? molybdenium?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Exactly! The difference seems to be whether or not the syllable before the "-ium" is stressed, or not. Or, perhaps, the "-ium" forces the preceding syllable to be stressed??

Regardless, I've yet to see an explanation of why the differences exist (though I think tanTAlium would be much cooler than TANtalum!) :>

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Op Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:12:49 -0500 schreef Mel:

Lithium, beryllium, natrium, kalium, aluminium, platina.

--
Coos
Reply to

lot

I will not argue with you here. I have found that it is a case of build=20 a new system, tweak it to suit (get all my apps running right), then=20 migrate the data. My previous production system running suse 10.3 still=20 runs on the same box. Scant opportunity for significant data loss, as=20 there is another copy (full partition).

libraries,

need.

GNU

I use parted as needed. Not so skillful with dd yet. "cp -R *" and the = like=20 serve me pretty well.

getting

Want a spare? Viewsonic V95. Also an A75f 17". Both do 1280x1024@60Hz = beautifully.

Reply to
JosephKK