Using the Zilog ez80F91

Hi All

I've recently managed to get my hands on Zilogs ZDOTS single boar computer for the ez80 AcclaimPlus! mcu. I'm trying to figure out the bes way to hook the board up to my PC and "communicate" with it, and it look like it's going to be an expensive process (meaning that I have to buy one of Zilogs "smart cable" accessories to talk to the module via etherne cable).

My question is:

Has anyone at comp.arch.embedded had any success communicating with th Zdots module without using Zilogs SmartCable accessories? i.e Directl using the rs232 port or other mechanism?

In general, it looks like information on using the Zdots sbc from Zilog i really thin on the ground (other than the standard product spec on zilog' site), so it looks like it's not in widespread use at the moment ...

Any first hand information on using this gizmo would appreciated :-)

Regards, Arch

Reply to
archmangle

It's hard enough communicating using their own programming module and their own software. It's a pretty pisspoor design altogether.

I suspect it's dead in the water, along with the eZ80 range. I haven't had any compiler updates notified for about a year now. It's a pity; the processor is good for low power designs with Ethernet, but the compiler and RTOS they did was fairly awful.

Reply to
Paul Burke

After my current experiences, I'm inclined to agree. Although, I feel have no option but to at least get one working p.o.c working and then no bother any further with it. After hammering at it a while this morning I've come to the conclusion that there no way of accessing the device without Zilogs 'smart' cable thingies.

Have you managed to get a Zdots module working before? if so, do you hav any debugging tips around it?

If this is indeed the case (I suppose we'll find out soon), what would yo recommend as a good entry level kit from Zilog?

Reply to
archmangle

There's a forum on Yahoo for the Acclaim. I'd ask this question there. Go to groups.yahoo.com and search for Acclaim and/or EZ80 to locate the group.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

While that may (or may not) be an accurate answer, it is not really desirable. c.a.e is world-wide, universally accessible, and much more easily accessed than any yahoo group. It doesn't require on-line access - everything (apart from a regular down-load) can be done off-line. There has been much discussion of the EZ80 system here.

Don't be confused by the existence of the (rather poor) google newsreader, which in turn allows examination of newsgroup content.

   Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

There is this new invention called e-mail that is used to provide all the same characteristics. There might be reasons to prefer newgroups over e-mail lists but off-line access isn't one of them.

Robert

Robert Adsett