turn your expensive oscilloscope into a $5 clock

Be kind, Vladimir. Someone who turns a 'scope into a clock (rather than just a buch of 7-segment LEDs or an LCD or similar) definitely demonstrate a fair amount of initiative and creativity; that's definitely worth something!

I took an AI class in college where we had a group assignment to present/explain to the rest of the class some particular problem solving/learning algorithm (I don't even remember what it was anymore...). Besides presenting/explaining it, we'd taken a bit of extra time to go and implement a Tic Tac Toe game using that algorithm -- got us a fair amount of extra credit and kudos with the prof.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No, although we might be able to turn a $5 garage sale TV set into a scope :-) (Not a very *good* scope, mind you...)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Isn't that how they make multi-channel, multi-gigahertz digital sampling scopes? (More or less) Some high-speed ADCs, a bit of logic and a display.... :)

Reply to
Rocky

That?s exactly how they do it. Start with four DC to 20GHz preamps, split the output of each preamp to four 12.5GS/s ADCs each with a phase shifted clock and connect each ADC to a demultiplexer driving wide slower memory. While you are at it, take a split off your preamps and send it to your trigger comparator chip. (When you?re at Radio Shack, be sure to ask for the premium trigger chip). Now you just have to read back the acquisition memory, convert it to a raster image and send it to your $5 garage sale TV. Voila, you have a 20GHz, 50GS/s digital scope.

Reply to
Mike

Bruno, this is cool. 5 bucks is a deal. If the freight is not too expensive, I'm going to order one.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Or knock on the door of the building supervisor and say "I will give you this expensive oscilloscope if you tell me what time it is."

--
David M. Palmer  dmpalmer@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Reply to