Testing Strategy for Timer and GPIO

Hi,

I am trying to test the timer and GPIO interface. Here is what i have so far,

For GPIO Interface Run a program with a random generator, that pulls the 16 GPIO pins in different combinations and measure this with a ANT16 logic analyzer.

For Timer Interface Use a random generator to generate random time intervals at which a gpio pin is pulled and then use the ANT16 logic analyzer to measure the time interval. But the logic analyzer is not as precise as i would have liked.

Are there any alternate strategies for testing, with or with out using external hardware and are there any other hardware(inexpensive) out there that can do a much more accurate job.

- Nived

nived

what and why do you want to test?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

so

gpio

liked.

there

I am trying to test a the timer and GPIO driver. Am building a testing harness and want to write a few sample tests on the drivers to see how the harness may need to look

- Nived

nived

You should learn how to ask useful question, if you expect useful answers. From the information you wrote so far, it could be a WindowsCE driver on some organizer, or maybe a driver for BSD for a jailbreaked iPhone. And the interface to the driver is important: E.g. do you allow parallel access from multiple processes and how do you manage this without errors?

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

Oh, come on. This has "stupident homework" written over it.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

the

answers.

the

We are in the final stages of completion of porting the .Net Microframework to a new board. We have interfaced the board api's provided by the manufacturer of the board with the MF. We are planning to do some unit level testing on these drivers. I was just wondering how you could go about testing the timer and gpio drivers in particular.

nived

What do you mean "test the timer and GPIO interface"? Do you suspect the silicon manufacturer has sold you a bunch of defective parts in which the timer/GPIO are malfunctioning?

Or, are you concerned that your *code* to talk to both of these subsystems is "of dubious quality"?

This seems overly complex. And, what does it *tell* you about your code and or the hardware? If the generator is truly (ha!) "random", then you have no idea what to *expect* from it. Therefore, no way to VERIFY that your observations are correct!

See above.

You need to figure out what you are actually trying to do:

"I want to calibrate my stopwatch. I propose using an NBS-traceable 'ruler' to mark off a vertical rise on the wall. Then, I plan on dropping a 1Kg, 23.9998K gold bar from that height and measuring the time at which the bar hits the ground and comparing that to the expected time for that flight. I plan on doing this at random times of day and averaging the results..."

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Are you working with a PIC chip, an ARM system, embedded Linux or some sort of embedded PC? All of these have timers and GPIO interfaces.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Put an LED on the GPIO output, set the timer for 0.5 seconds, and write code to turn the LED on and off when the timer hits. If the LED blinks, the system works.

A blinking LED is the single most important diagnostic tool there is!

Reply to
David Brown