STK200 and AT90s8535

I am using STK200.
To program I use PonyProg2000 or AtmelAVR ISP.

Everything works fine for the AT90S8515-8-PC chip.

But it doesn't work for AT90S8535-8-PI chip.
When I try to erase or program the FLASH in AT90S8535-8-PI
I get the following message in PonyProg:
"Device missing or unknown device (-24).

And in AtmelAVR ISP I get the following message:
"AT90S7LS8535 Part Not Detected - this may be
due to power off on programming module.
Security Bits Enabled or pre production AVR."

I don't get these messages when I use AT90S8515-8-PC.

I know that STK200 supports AT90s8535 chip.
PonyProg2000 and AtmelAVR ISP support it too.

Any Idea?

Re: STK200 and AT90s8535

Atmel probably changed the device code. They did this for the 1200: I had to
modify the SP12 programming software I use and recompile it.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Did you put the device in the right place.
There is a separate foot for the AT90S8535.
And yes, sometimes the device codes are wrong.
You may try to switch this test off.

My own ISP-software has a separate test for a valid ISP-connection
maybe your software is able to do that also. This way you can check
for a living AVR without checking the device codes

Willem Ouwerkerk.

Re: STK200 and AT90s8535

if the device is plugged into the correct socket, should be in the A/D
parts socket not the digital one. There is a checkbox somewhere in 2,65 that
allows you to stop it reading the sig byte, its been a long time since I've
used that version so I can't remember were. Some 8535 were changed I
believe. I think they are obsolete now though, see the mega8535 which is
their replacement.

Bryan

---
Re: STK200 and AT90s8535
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMhotmail.com says...

Hello.

The STK200 had a board change or something, you should check the Kanada
systems page, they detail where you have to cut some link and solder,
depending on the rev.

IMO the STK200 is a pretty cheap and not too functional of board. I
recall the A/D not working on a 4433 I was using because ARef wasn't
actually wired correctly. I also found the hardware SPI port on the 4433
(when in this board) didn't work; the SPI clock line had some strange
triangular variation, it wasn't a clean square-wave.

When I built my own board and used the *same* 4433 with the same
software, the hardware SPI port worked perfectly, the clock trace was
nice and square. For those wondering, my jumper settings were correct
too.

The STK200 board is also covered with this ugly yellow mask which
obscures your view of the traces. The result is that you don't have the
ability to follow a trace to see if there is wiring problem.

It may not be an option for you at this time, but I would consider
another evaluation board. Oh, and I think the STK500 does the same "we
covered the board in ink so you can't see the traces" bit, the
difference being it's white this time.

-- Jay.

Site Timeline