SMT crystal flux removal

Hi all,

We use a ceramic package SMT crystal (connected to a PIC) on a PCB and it's hard to get flux out during assembly. Units that weren't cleaned properly pass testing only to come back a few months later when the flux becomes conductive enough to stop the oscillator.

For those of you who have run into this problem, what was your fix?

-- Brad Eckert

Reply to
Brad Eckert

If you have flux underneath the chip after assembly, you need to find another assembly house.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

I suggest changing the flux. Talk to the technical people at the flux manufacturer. Maybe go back to the older types.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Brad - a suggestion based on some study but little testing:

If you are using a rosin based flux with "accelerators", a two part cleaning solvent is reportedly needed; one polar and the other non polar. The non polar component is for the rosin and the polor for the "accelerators".

If this description matches the flux used, you might try adding some alcohol (polar solvent) to your cleaning. Isopropyl is most conservative of those generally available, ethanol (barring government required addins) next and methanol most active.

Testing with some components soldered to scrap boards could be helpful. If you try this or anyother possible cures, do post the results.

Hul

Brad Eckert wrote: : Hi all, : : We use a ceramic package SMT crystal (connected to a PIC) on a PCB and : it's hard to get flux out during assembly. Units that weren't cleaned : properly pass testing only to come back a few months later when the : flux becomes conductive enough to stop the oscillator. : : For those of you who have run into this problem, what was your fix? : Brad Eckert

- for email, put the word "keep" in subject line -

Reply to
Hul Tytus