SMS sender

Hi,

I like to have my small hobby system sending status SMS to my mobile. I figure the easiest way is to just connect the system, over either UART or USB, to a cheap off the shelf mobile phone (older Nokia etc).

Now to my question: Is there any standard phone with good documentation on the AT commands and/or good documentation on other API for simple GSM and Messaging operations.

Br Erik

Reply to
ErikAkerfeldt

You can do this by getting a GSM modem available in the market, connected to your PC through RS-232 port.

Cheers!

-dK

Reply to
dk

Using an "older Nokia" is a good idea if it's connectable as a GSM modem with a (serial) data cable. This way, you can communicate directly with it using AT commands instead of descending into the MBUS/FBUS interface.

I found the following website helpful.

Mike G

Early Ericsson gsm handsets are easier to use as they are more "open" than the Nokia proprietary interface and commands. Nokia was not strictly AT command set compatible.

Reply to
Hugh

If your hobby system is attached to the internet (or attachable to a system attached to the internet) then you may want to see if your mobile provider has an email-to-sms gateway. Save you from having to buy a second service plan for the sending phone.

If not, Sparkfun has some cellphone modules. The cost is way more than an old phone that someone discarded because it only has a 3 MPixel camera, but the downloadable documentation for the modules might be informative enough to help you in whatever phone you choose.

David M. Palmer  dmpalmer@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Reply to
David M. Palmer