[Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

Very good suggestion! There's plenty of parking for your personal jet. Be very careful with the approach if the weather is bad.

Don't have a personal jet? You can't afford Aspen.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Ever fly into Aspen? You take a ratty turboprop from Denver. On the approach, you look out the windows of the plane and see solid rock walls on both sides. Almost as much fun as Los Alamos, where the runway ends at the end of the mesa.

John

My first view of the Tetons was flying into Jackson Hole. You head straight into a granite block that towers a mile above the runway. At what turns out in retrospect to have been a respectable distance, the plane makes a hard right and runs parallel to it as it settles down.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

... snip ...

I remember flying in and out of Albuquerque 40 odd years ago. First the pilot attempts to crash into this mountain, and at the last moment zooms over it and parks on the peak. When leaving, he just floors it until the ground disappears from under you, and after a few swoops and thermals the thing is airborn.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

When a conference was over in '93 I had my daughter come to SF and we stayed a few extra days. The concierge at the conference hotel recommended a place that was across the street from the old US Mint museum.

The cost differential was astonishing. The second place seemed to cater to European tourist groups. It was a moderately old building (quaint) but it worked out just great for us. Good but inexpensive on-site restaurant, within a few blocks of the big conference hotels.

Perhaps someone in the area knows the name, if it is still open, other basic recon.

One heads up though. A few of the other places that seemed to offer low cost accomodations appeared to cater to men only.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh

I like to send people here:

around $60,

or

about $140 for an ocean-view suite with a fireplace.

John

is

been

NOT

and we

Mint museum.

to cater

(quaint)

on-site

open, other

offer low

I'll try this one. Maybe I 'can' go if I can prove it isn't as expensive as they think.

Reply to
Clarence_A

It's clean but funky, like some small mom-and-pop motel you'd find in a small town somewhere. There's a streetcar stop just in front, which will take you downtown in a straight, but not too speedy, shot. It's just 2 blocks from the ocean, and just behind the Sloat Garden Center and a block from the famous Doggie Diner.

Call me if you feel like a beer.

John

it

even

CO).

SF

hotel

US

seemed

building

hotels.

find in

which

It's

Center

might do that if I get to go. Just heard we are starting a new contract for design of a system for a major new client. So it is going to be up in the air for a bit.

Thanks again. A "Samuel Adams" would go down nicely! Clarence

Reply to
Clarence_A