SD card power consumption

Hello,

I have a question related to the (micro)SD card power consumption. What are the

typical power consumption values? I think that it depends on card manufacturer,

card storage size, speed, etc. I have found that from the CSD register I can read the max. and min. values for power consumptions (VDD_R_CURR_MIN, VDD_W_CURR_MIN, VDD_R_CURR_MAX and VDD_W_CURR_MAX) for read and write operations. Those values I think should be less then 100ma, typically about

50 mA, plus the power consumption depends also on the voltage level on VDD, which is between 2.7V and 3.6V. Am I right?

Regards, STeN

--------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on

stenlik

I've been doing some tests recently with full-sized SDHC cards. I find that there can be significant differences between 'normal' speed cards and the high-speed cards. The normal cards have a peak current of about 40mA when doing a write and the high-speed cards are about

60mA. If your processor is fast enough, I suppose that the overall energy used is nearly equal, as you can get the data out to the high-speed card more quickly. If your system is fast enough, the high-speed cards may even have an advantage.

I'm using the cards in a low-power system based on an MSP430 with a 14MHz clock rate, so my write speed is processor-limited. That means I'm better off with the normal speed cards. However, those are more difficult to find in the 16 and 32GB sizes, where the marketing emphasis seems to be on their use for video or photo storage and the devices can keep up with the higher speed ratings.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Hello,

are

I recently looked into this and found the spec allows an SDHC card to draw up to 200 mA. Although, we've found measured some high speed SDHC cards draw up to 450 mA.

Regards, Eddie

(VDD_R_CURR_MIN,

about

VDD,