RTOS brands

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:05:49 +0800, Paul Whitfield >

You bought from the wrong company :-)

Tip for evaluation an RTOS: Send a stupid support question and check how long it takes that you get an answer. If support is bad during evaluation it won't be better when you've bought.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Hey, that's cool: An RTOS in hardware.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

But my experiences spans 2 decades and seven or more RTOS vendors .. of which only two vendors have given what I consider to be

*acceptable* support!!

Generally I have not been the one making the original decision... just dealing with the consequences! :-(

It should be remembered once you pick an RTOS for a product, you are pretty much locked in for the life of the product.

There is nothing worse than working on a RTOS, where you don't have source, where the vendor decides to stop supporting a particular processor!

Since moving to rtems, on the rare occasions where I have had a problem I have ALWAYS been pleasantly surprised by the level of support the developer community provides!

Generally I would say whatever you do, commercial or open source make sure you get an RTOS with source code, that way you ALWAYS have the option of fixing problems yourself.

Regards

Paul

Reply to
Paul Whitfield

hi, this is really cool RTOS, because it's based on HW. However, is there any customer adopting it? and is it cheap?

42Bastian Schick wrote:

Reply to
banh

I add one more: Worse if you have no source at all.

Only thing our customers struggle a bit: Our kernel is written in assembler. It is sometimes the first time they need to see assembler sources :-)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

That sounds a lot like OSE.

/RogerL

Reply to
roger.larsson

We are kind of a spin-off. But only the basic idea (direct message passing) is the same which is _not_ an ENEA brand BTW. More on Sciopta's history ?

Sciopta's functionality is comparable OSE Delta with the size of 2 times OSE Epsilon :-) On ARM: 2K (minimal set of functions needed for an application) to

18K (all functions) ROM footprint.