RTL8019as - Specific info needed.

Hello All,

Some time ago (years actually) I encountered an article named the '25$ webserver'. It was about connecting a microcontroller to an NE2000 compatible ISA network card.

Just recently I thought it would be a nice project to connect a RTL8019as NIC to an Atmel Mega32 microcontroller and using assembly as the language-of-choice. A further googling found me a site using BasCom, from which I learned how to initialize as well as how to read from & write to the NIC.

But all of the PDF documentation in regard to that NIC seemed to be incomplete, and the only way I could download some (supposedly!) more specific information from the company itself was to agree to a NDA (non-disclosure agreement), which I, as a hobbyist, did not wish to do.

My question is therefore : does anyone know of where to get specific info in regard to that NIC *without* having to sell my soul ?

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Google is your friend..

That's the complete datasheet.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

R.Wieser asked:

and Jim Stewart amswered"

You should also check out Linux kernel driver for this chip:

		Przemek Klosowski, Ph.D.
Reply to
przemek klosowski

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your link. Unfortunatily that was exactly the same as other documents I found.

Maybe I should have been more specific in my earlier message. What I could not find is a description of what the first two (the second two is the byte-count) and the last four bytes mean when I read a full block of data (the eight bytes wrapping the ethernet-packet). Have I overlooked that info in the document somehow ?

As I could not find that info (nor any example of what needed to be done to initialize the NIC or read from/write to it) and because of that NDA agreement I assumed that the document I found and you also provided is incomplete. Maybe the (non-existant?) 'full' document would divulge some more secrets (like why the code I found seems to check bit #6 of the last byte of a read packet and clear the ISR if its set).

If all else fails I'm going to disassemble the PNPPD.COM device-driver for under DOS that came with it and see what I can learn from it, but would rather not have to do that ...

Regards, Rudy Wieser

-- Origi> > Hello All,

RTL8019as

from

the

info in

Reply to
R.Wieser

Hello przemek klosowski,

Thanks for the link. I just took a look at it and do not think I can use it : I would be wrestling with understanding that code as well as bumping into the differences between that 8139 and the 8019 chip. I'm afraid that it would be just too confusing.

Regards, Rudy Wieser

P.s. A quick search in that depository for the 8019 revealed that there was none to be had.

-- Origional message przemek klosowski schreef in berichtnieuws SdvIl.455$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

Reply to
R.Wieser

First of all, go here...

And download the packet driver spec and the generic NE2000 packet driver.

Then go to my website and download...

That's the NE2000 driver modified for the RTL8019as running in 8-bit mode. Be aware that we use a programmed eeprom to set the mac address and the initial I/O port, interrupt and bus width.

All is in x86 assembly, but hey, it's free.

And if you do get something to work, let us know and put it up somewhere that we can use it.

best,

-jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hello Jim,

Thank you for that PicoPkt.zip. It turned out that I allready had the packet-driver spec (for quite some years even. I did some DOS ethernet stuff). But as for that "generic NE2000 driver" ? The closest I could find on that site is a NE2100.ZIP file, which I don't think is what you mean.

Do you maybe mean that I should google me a packet-driver ? If that is so I allready got a packet-driver program (on floppy) together with the RTL8019as ethernet-card, a file named PNPPD.COM (the DOS packet-driver). I allready was disasembling it for info before I thought of trying to go the "easy way" and ask this community. :-)

Currently I got ARP, ICMP (ping), IP and UDP (echo) to work. TCP will take me a bit more, as I'm not yet sure how I should handle multiple requests.

All I have now is code that will work in optimum conditions (a single computer connected to the card/microcontroller). I'm not sure how it will behave in a bit more hostile environment (multiple computers talking to each other, multiple incoming TCP/IP requests). The code I used as a launch-pad (pretty-much copied the initialisation and the block read/write routines) shows code that I have no idea what it does. When I left it out all continued to work. But I can't say I like not knowing what it does, it may be quite important ...

Regards, Rudy Wieser

-- Origi> > Hello Jim,

other

Reply to