RS-232 Downloadable PROM

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has heard of or used the DProm product from Compu Tech Labs Inc. ( or Applied Data Systems Inc, if I look on the PCB)? My company has a few of these lying around, some of which are no longer working (they are from somewhere around 1991 I believe, long before my time...).

These are an interface directly into the flash socket of our boards, and connect to the RS232 port of a PC, allowing you to send the hex representation of a compiled flash firmware image directly to this device. This really speeds up the write/compile/test cycle, as there is no need to re-burn the flash chip every time and plug it on our board to run newly compiled firmware. I'd like to get more similar devices, but not sure quite where to look.

I'm new to embedded development, and not sure if these devices are commonplace or not, but I haven't been able to find anything like it searching on the net.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Darryl

Reply to
Darryl Woods

If this is just an eight bit memory product then there are several products that are out there. I have a Dataman S3 which serves for this purpose as well as blowing EPROMs (I have had this for quite a long time now). These are know as EPROM programmers and you should check for serial interfacing.

I have other devices that connect to the parallel port that will allow me to stack them for 16 or 32bit memory as well. They are called ROM Emulators which is a term that may help a bit in your search.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
Paul E. Bennett

M-Systems was working on a flash chip with a USB cable for such an application. I don't know if they ever brought it to market.

Reply to
Jim Stewart