Replace Keil/ARM tools

You mean to debug the kernel? Or a user-level application? You can use gdb at user level and that's usually enough. I don't know about debugging kernels on those boards though.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

I can't imagine how it would be useful for application development. For that, you run gdb-server on the target and then the gdb front-end on a desktop/laptop. [Actually, I generally do most of my debugging by running the application on a desktop before I try to run the app on target hardware.]

A JTAG debugger might be useful for debugging initialization and startup code. It's certainly useful for troubleshooting and testing hardware.

Good question.

In theory it _might_ be useful for kernel debugging, but Linux has other facilities for that.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm having a BIG BANG
                                  at               THEORY!!

There is a special version of GDB, kgdb for kernel debugging.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Assuming it's even possible... seems like it might be...

I find Eclipse/GDB tedious and don't use them. This way, all my debug cruft is available should i need it at a site.

I'd rather pull the code out and run it in a test harness on a workstation for unit test, then put the code into a driver module. Yeah, I'll spend some time making test vectors and updating them from inferred or logged operation of the driver.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to