Read from flash with AT91SAM7S64

Hello,

I have an application where I will have a LCD display with several menus and so I will want to have lots of const arrays of text stored in flash. Does anyone know if you can read from internal flash memory, (i.e. access constants stored in flash) with a Atmel AT91SAM7S64? Someone was telling me there is no way to read from internal flash while executing code from the flash on this part. Is that correct?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

You can definately read from the flash while executing from it, whether you can write to the falsh while executing from it. is a different story. Acccesing data stored in flash is no different than accesing it from RAM.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Thanks for the response. I was hopeing it would not have to use a mechanism like the old Microchip parts where to read const from flash you had to do a return with literal. This would be very inefficient with 32 bit wide instructions.

Reply to
Andy

There is a basic difference with old PICs and ARMs:

- the old PICs have totally separate instruction / data memories - the ARMs use common instruction / data memory space.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Wow I thought for sure all ARMs were arm Harvard architecture. Looking around now I see ARM7 is Von Neuman. Sorry I did not do my home work before posting.

Reply to
Andy