Re: Flash memory

Argh. Outlook crashed! In short, check the datasheet for the flash. It will tell you how to program it. Usually they seem to offer a "software data protection" scheme.

SOFTWARE DATA PROTECTION PROGRAMMING: The

AT29LV256 has 512 individual sectors, each 64 bytes.

Using the software data protection feature, byte loads are

used to enter the 64 bytes of a sector to be programmed.

The AT29LV256 can only be programmed or reprogrammed

using the software data protection feature. The

device is programmed on a sector basis. If a byte of data

within the sector is to be changed, data for the entire 64-

byte sector must be loaded into the device. The

AT29LV256 automatically does a sector erase prior to

required.

Hello! > > I don't know if this is the right newsgroup to post this in. If that's the > case, sorry! > > I have a NEC microcontroller with a V850 processor. There are 2 > flash-memories on the card, one intern 256kbyte ond one extern with the > capacity of 512kbyte. I have problems programming the extern flash memory > from a application running on the card. According to the manual, there is > two ways to program the intern flash memory. One way is with a box that is > called a flash programmer. The second way is with some libraries called > "Self programming libraries". With Selflib it seems not to be possible to > program the extended flash memory, because some functions (erase for > example) can only be applied to an area (intern flash memory is split in > area0 (128kb) and area1, but the extern flash memory is split into

sectors).

The manual describes how to program the intern flash memory with Selflib, > but does'nt say anything at all about the extern flash memory. > There is also another way of program the flash memory. It's called flash > programming. Then you have to connect to the NEC board thru a serial line > with a terminal program. This way it seems possible to program the

external

flash, but I wanna be able to write, read and erase data on the flash from
application running while it's running on the board. > Nothing at all is mention in the manual except for how to program the > internal flash. > > In the manual, there's a picture that shows memory areas and their

adresses.

The picture also include the flash memorys and there start and end

adresses.

Can writing and reading to these adresses be the way to program the

external

flash-memory? Is it possible that it is that easy? > > Thanks! > > /Marcus > >
Reply to
Brett