Re: FAO embedded C programmers

>> My flatmate claims that we should turn off this main pull switch after >> using the shower, because when it's on electricity is always being used >> to keep a reserve of hot water. >> >> I claim this is hokum and leaving the switch on is no different to >> leaving the TV on standby. > > Indeed, you shouldn't leave the TV on standby, either.

OK, but my point is that leaving the TV on standby uses a negligible amount of energy - pennies a year probably. Isn't the same true of the shower pull switch?

Reply to
Jack Hopson

Depends on the age of the TV. My current TV/Stereo [new as of last year] don't even register on my UPS when off (in standby). My old Nintendo Wii registers as 11W when in amber standby (so clearly the UPS can measure things that low) which is why I just unplug the damn thing when I'm not using it.

My brothers turn of the century [21st...] LCD TV ranks around 15-20W when in standby.

So it depends really on the age of the gear. Get yourself a kill-a- watt to be sure.

Tom

Reply to
Tom St Denis

Wrong. It usually uses a surprisingly large amount of energy.

I have no idea. You'd have to know something about how it was built.

This has nothing to do with C, though. Followups set to alt.test since I can't think of a more appropriate group.

-s

--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam@seebs.net
http://www.seebs.net/log/