Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

According to the Worldwide 2001 Cost of Living Survey City Rankings, The world's most expensive cities were Tokyo, Moscow, and Hong Kong and the least expensive city surveyed was Blantyre, Malawi followed by Bangalore, India. If anyone has more recent figures, please post them.

Reply to
Guy Macon

The current top cities:

  1. Tokyo
  2. London
  3. Moscow

Bottom:

  1. Asuncion, Paraguay
  2. Montevideo, Uruguay
  3. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Andy Sinclair

The average UK price for a detached house is £235k ($435k).

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sinclair

The average price of a house in the UK is about £140k ($250k). That's not likely to be four-bedroomed, its from lender's statistics. £140k where I live gets you a very small house indeed.

ngs trimmed to c.a.e

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

I live in Bangalore and i know its damn costly. Software jobs do not need a luxury space and therefore not costly for the US companies to set up here. In all if you compare the average pay Vs the avg cost of living - Bangalore is costly. If you go by sheer numbers bangalore is very cheap. btw , Guy thanks for your postings on continuous eeprom chksum that i had started.

-Vishal

Reply to
vishal

Average house price in Melbourne is about AUS $350,000. (US $247,000)

Reply to
dmm

Hi All I see the thread is a bit old now but I would still like to ask a few questions regarding contract work.

  1. How do contractors handle the issue of compilers?

I am a director/shareholder in a company that develop very specific devices for our needs, so it hardly keeps me busy, as a result I started a new company just do embedded developments, but It can hardly stay busy (not to mention in business). I find the biggest barrier to entry is the cost of compilers. I can see a way to help the customer and get his product manufactured within target but if I tell them to pay for development tools and dev kits they start backing of. I can?t always use Microchip products or base all designs on AVRs or 8051, maybe ARMs cover a bigger range but a MDK compiler cost 3k Euros and that is too costly for most. What to do??

  1. Is it really practical to work on embedded/hardware projects if you are not at least in striking distance of the client?

I tried having work done in china and India but can?t seem to find a model that fits, the firmware is just never good enough. I find their work mediocre and almost without exception have to redo it all. Firmware need to be of quality, you just don?t have the resources and speed of a PC so it must be as optimized as possible, or do I have unrealistic expectations. Big difference between a system that just works and one that works well.

Thank you in advance.

--------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on

heindekock

Quite a mouth full, thank you for the feedback.

So the basic feeling is that I must stop crying like a little girl, suck it up and pay. Accepted.

Just a few more questions:

How can I rate programmers for contract work?

And how should I go about getting work in, keeping in mind I am a bit isolated?

--------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on

heindekock

If I could I wouldn't ask. Seriously!!

If someone tells me they can code on embedded platforms I would like to believe them, as naive as that may be. But if I spend my days teaching code writers the basics of electronics and even how to read a damn datasheet, then in my opinion they can?t do embedded work. So how do you tell the code writers from the embedded engineers? This thread started with the gentleman underselling himself and talking about doing other work to stay alive. That worries me ? honestly, I won?t employ him, something doesn?t sound right. But my objective here is to find work for my arias of expertise and outsource the parts we can?t handle to competent people.

Thank you again for all the comments and Advice so far, I have placed some bids on rentacoder, so lets what happens.