Re: Cascade MCU

> Hi,

Could u suggest me a SPI peripheral IO expansion device?

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

I think the intention was that the AT89S8253 would be the I/O expansion. I think that this is a little overkill since it has a lot of fancy stuff like EEPROM. There are plenty smaller devices including the ATmega8515. The 28 pin packages are also nice and much smaller than the 40 pin devices.

In reality you can use a development board. The STK500/501 will provide you with a 64 pin chip and most of the signals are coming out on headers, so you can test most stuff on that board.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Depends on how smart you want it to be :)

HC4094 / HC594/ HC595 are very cheap, cascadable, output only devices. HC596/HC597 are IP cascadable devices.

For more complex SPI I/O devices, look at

The 89S8253 has a buffered SPI, and is good for easy package handling, and many IO in one place.

In the smaller uC class, Philips have the LPC91x series, which offer SPI in 14 and 16 pin tiny packages.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Not strictly true. Just because the CPU doesn't come in a DIP package doesn't mean you have to make a PCB, since

a) you can use pre-built PCB made by someone else, a.k.a. "evaluation kit" if it's provided by the chip maker

b) you can use special adapter boards or sockets. They'll be more expensive than plain old DIP, sure. But still, they're out there, so you can use them.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker