quieries related to math handling in micro controllers

It is almost impossible to explain the difference to "the man in the street". Also, have you ever tried to explain the difference between "heat" and "temperature" to the average man in the street? Or "weight" vs "mass"?

I once made the mistake of remarking casually that walking on hot coals is facilitated by the fact that hot charcoal, while at a high temperature, contains very little heat [implication: as compared to the specific heat capacity of water in your feet]. Everyone around me smirked and said "Did you hear what nonsense you just said? Very hot but has little heat?"

I gave up after ten minutes of trying to explain the difference.

Reply to
larwe

Oh, yes. "Current" and "Voltage" indeed are the same things, too.

Once I tried to order the PAL/SECAM convertor. They were trying to sell me a 220V/120V transformer instead. It was a sincere and complete misunderstanding.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

4294967.295

If you can avoid the case of a zero length rope, maybe you can get to

4294967.296

It's marketing-speak.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes actually. I'm usually fairly successful with heat and temperature. The example of the air in an oven vs the roasting pan usually works fairly well. Whether it sticks for more than 1/2 hr is another question. Speed and velocity on the other hand.....

I do believe some people actually work to avoid knowledge, especially if it involves the physical sciences.

Robert

Robert Adsett

What's distressing is how many technical people don't seem to understand the difference.

Robert

Robert Adsett

A physics instructor many years ago explained it like this:

If you measure the temperature of a pan of boiling water 100 times and the standard deviation of the readings is 0.1 degrees, your thermometer is reasonably precise. If the mean temperature you measured is not 212.0 deg F, the thermometer is not very accurate. There followed a discussion of the factors that might affect the boiling temperature of water.

In other words: Precise instruments give you a consistent answer, accurate instruments give you the correct answer. You can calibrate a precise instrument at intervals to give you an accurate answer. It takes a bit more work for each measurment to get the correct answer from an imprecise instrument.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

It's not only the man in the street. Even supposedly knowledgeable people have major disagreements as to mass vs. weight. Then you can compound the disagreement by trying to define force and/or impact.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

This comes from the common practice of making scientific deinitions of common terms that turn out to me more precise than those terms. E.g., spiders are not bugs, whales are not fish, Pluto is not a planet.

just my $0.0200 worth.

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to

I think you meant "spiders are not insects" - in general usage, even amongst biologists, spiders *are* bugs. Very technically, "bug" refers to the hemiptera insects (these are sap-sucking insects). But more commonly, "bug" refers to arthropods in generally - and that includes spiders, centipedes, and other such creatures. Lobsters and crabs are also arthropods, but probably not what most people mean by "bugs".

Reply to
David Brown

by "bugs".

Except in Louisiana!

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

On Mar 6, 11:26 am, David Brown wrote: [...]

When we go out to the local Chinese place for lunch, a coworker refuses to order any dish containing shrimp, because (he says) he refuses to eat bugs.

Regards,

-=Dave

Reply to
Dave Hansen

mean by "bugs".

And in Maine. When I took a cruise on a schooner, the cook polled the passengers to find out how many "bugs" to cook for dinner. The bugs in this case were lobsters.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Scuba divers commonly refer to lobsters as "bugs".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  A GRAM?? A BRAM... A
                                  at               GROOM... A BROOM... Oh,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

The Chinese character for shrimp includes the "bug" radical.

Cp:

(shrimp)

(cockroach)