Programming the FT230 Chip

Has anyone built a product that uses the FT230 chip and requires it to be programmed?

I'm looking at their "self powered configuration" (section 6.2 of the data sheet). It looks easy enough to implement, but it requires that the internal MPT memory be programmed.

Presumably that is done by talking to the chip via USB, which means that it has to work correctly, which won't happen when it is self-powered.

So is this done with a fixture in which you program chips? Is there some clever way to make a board so that this feature is boot-strapped?

TIA -- I need to slap one of these on a board, it needs to work right, and it needs to do so in the hands of a customer that doesn't seem to have a huge amount of experience with wrangling board assembly.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

FWIW, I've been playing with an FT245R breakout; it came preset for operation, plug and go (also, the breakout has connection to USB 5V if needed). Don't know offhand how similar its USB side interface is.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

I just found one for the FT230, at Mouser -- and ordered it, plus a few extra chips in case I mis-program something in the process of learning.