Processors who's stack grows up

That may be the case with Fortran 77 and later versions, but I was referring to Fortran II and Fortran IV.

If you put the local variables into a stack, it would break quite a lot old Fortran programs (including some widely used library code) that assume that the local variable values are maintained between calls.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

I just said the standard doesn't preclude reentrancy.

Since the standard doesn't define the behavior, different programs written for different implementations may rely on the behavior of a particular implementation.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene