problem with i2c on r8c/1b

I'm trying to set up an r8c/1b chip as an i2c slave, but having no luck. I've read all the app notes and user forums I could find. The symptom is: The i2c module sees the start condition, becuase the "busy" flag gets set correctly. However, the SCL/SDA monitor flags never change (reading P3 gives the correct values, but the monitor is always 1) and there's no other sign that the module recognizes the i2c transaction (no interrupts, no ack, no status flag changes, etc).

So, has anyone used an r8c/1b as an i2c slave? Are there any tricks I might be missing?

Reply to
DJ Delorie