PIC16F716 physically exploding

Hi Fred,

I did not even seen these chips you have problem with but I am quite positive the problem would not be limited to that particular part number.

I did see few chips exploded by over-current.

Your 6xAA can go as high as 6.4V/5-10A with brand new batteries. The diode in series may help to reduce the voltage but not current.

Just a hint - check if all the Vdd pins are connected to Vdd, all the GND pins are connected to GND. If the chip has several interconnected power supply pins and you connect Vdd to one and GND to another, it will very likely overheat and explode.

Another hint - connect current limited power supply, the best something around 20-40mA (unless you want to replace the chip after each power-up). If you do not have such supply, connect 150ohm in series with batteries. If possible, reduce currents by disconnecting loads (motors, LEDs, power coils, etc), let only PIC be powered.

It's hard to give you general purpose hint without seeing specific application. Disconnecting loads may actually produce an overcurrent in some applications which would normally work fine with them so you need to be diligent about this.

-- Roman Ziak

Roman

of course that had to be 4xAA ... sorry

Reply to
Roman

Won't the cap. across the motor short out the transients from the motor?

Reply to
Mike King