performance based pay

In the UK you may sack someone, for any reason, during the first 12 months (well actually it's 11). Any manager who hasn't discovered that he has employed a donkey in this time deserves to have the right to fire someone taken away from him. FWIW in Germany you put someone on an initial three month's probation at the end of which you must either confirm their permanent status or dispense with their services (an extencion to the probation period is not an allowed option) AIH many UK companies work a probation period, but it has no status in law.

Tim

Reply to
tim

After 20+ years in the computer industry, with several start-ups, I do not jump with joy at the offer of stock or stock options. Kind of funny/sad. Employers (or potential ones) will lower their voice when offering it to you like they are doing you a Big Favor. I kind of shrug and try to move the discussions past that point. They are genuinely perplexed that I am not salivating or swooning.

I'd rather be paid decently. Of course, my needs are small so I don't look for the six digit salary I'm allegedly supposed to be making.

Reply to
Gary Kato

I worked for a company that offered sizable stock options. What a carrot that was! It also created a quite bizzare curture. In design or code reviews it seemed that many felt that if their ideas were not used, the stock price would suffer. Resulted in the most hostile arguments I have even experienced in all my years as a programmer/enginner. Not a happy place to work.

Doug

jump

Employers

they

past

swooning.

for

Reply to
Doug Dotson

Tom Peters, a management guru of the 80's suggested that rewards should be large enough to actually reward, but small enough that they don't cause a lot of resentment amongst those not receiving one.

We've tried cash awards of $100 - $500 for projects well done, and notebook computers to recognize years of service.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

end

know

UK.

the

motivator,

Ms Hall has a good point there...

Reply to
TheDoc

I'm male and I don't recall ever hearing any complaints about my point.

Thank you for the easy lob... Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

It's called consulting in this part of the world.

pay

(with

Reply to
BE

Sorry dude.. dated chicks by that name.. assumed you where female..! :o

Reply to
TheDoc

pay

Tough. Don't do it. There's no simple way to measure productivity, or contribution to a given project.

(with

Hire a consultant or a

Reply to
aurgathor

The only way it will really work is to have the evaluations done by somebody who is close to the action and understands quality when they see it.

At one company I worked at other people ended up being rewarded for my good work and I got rewarded for other people's good work. Ocassionally, people were fired for other people's bad work. It was totally nuts. The decisions on who did good and who did bad were made by managers who didn't know what was going on.

Tom

Reply to
Penguin Dreams