PCB multiple designs surcharge

I just reviewed one past job. My notes on the PCBcart order form for one of the files read "size is two boards same size one slot each see Huang". The tooling cost was consistent with the area of the combined pair of boards.

This followed an email exchange:

Response:

Do you

panel?

And even though they V-groove_and_snap rather than rout, they accepted the file with 100 thou separation between the two designs.

Reply to
who where

Having just looked up recent orders for another post inthis thread, I noticed one ex PCBcart for 100 pieces 1.2" x 0.75".

Tooling (setup) - which is a once-only charge with them unlike some fabs - $37.80. Per board (area) cost $0.57. All up cost $94.80 or

95c each.
Reply to
who where

r -

my

per

een

be

NEW.PCB. Do you

t on panel?

So, what is their concept/definition of different designs? Perhaps they should remove that from their quotation screen.

Reply to
linnix

The scope is 20 GHz, 17 pS spec'd risetime. It's my pin driver circuit that's slow. Here it is as a product:

The undershoot is my bad on the pcb layout. I'll fix that some day.

John

On a sunny day (Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:51:08 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, that is what I mean, I could do a board with those speeds, but have no way to check it. Well I have not personally had a request for anything like that, I will keep you in mind if it happens. For equipment, before such a fast scope, on my wish list would be a good *cheap* spectrum analyser Got an email from Altera today, about ASTA and their FPGAs. If I understand it right, that could mean eliminating a PC mobo... and then there are those 18 Gbits / second serial links sigh...

Jan Panteltje

255FBNEW.PCB. Do you

panel?

No idea. I only know what they have done with my jobs. But where I am unsure how a file/job will be treated ,I ask (as above). So far the answers haven't been unpleasant.

Reply to
who where

this

about

Case 1 the PWB fab house sees exactly one layout for all variations=20 and does not populate the boards; don't ask, don't tell -> no premium.

Case 2 the PWB fab has to differentially stuff the boards -> lots of=20 extra housekeeping on their part; depending on volume, ordering them=20 separately may get better deals.

Reply to
JosephKK

cancel

are

how

the

charge more?

charging

Do i correctly understand that it is the exact same Gerbers and Excellon=20 and soldermask and silk screen for all 8 cases? And that they are only=20 providing blank PCBs? If so don't tell them.

Reply to
JosephKK

cel

re

how

the

rge more?

rging

Yes, you are correct. They see different functional modules on the PCB and want to charge more. They don't have to do anything else with the additional designs. This usually cause delays on the job, so I either pay or suffer the delay. It's the industry's best kept dirty secret.

Reply to
linnix

cancel

they are

know how

(where the

charge more?

charging

=A0Usually, I

nonsense.

except

designs

Excellon

only

=46irst, remind them just what you are paying them for. Then it is time to try some other vendors, just to find out.

Reply to
JosephKK

cancel

y are

now how

re the

charge more?

charging

y, I

e.

ept

gns

on

nly

Yeah, a coupla good approaches with 'negotitations' like this are to ask them "If you were in my position, how would you feel about pricing like this?"

also, "Why are you trying so hard to never do business with me again?"

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

The nice thing about combined designs is that you're unlikely to be in all that much of a hurry (otherwise you'd not have bothered combining) so there is time to shop around or ask for a quotation then not place the order if they don't want to do business.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany