OT -- Problem with Pan

Totally off-topic, but perhaps someone knows the answer:

On my linux box I use Pan, and I kinda like it. A couple of days ago, however, it got it into it's little digital brain that it would mark all messages as "read" as soon as it updates the headers in a newsgroup. This is a royal pain, as you can imagine.

So, are there any Pan users out there who may know what setting I've accidentally messed up? What to look for? What to fix?

Thanks.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

If it's any consolation Mozilla and Thunderbird does that as well at times. So I learned to live with that. It also blocks me from answering a post the instant the Internet goes down and that is a real pain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A further clue is that it only does it on some groups. Like, my favorite ones. Grr.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

One thing I found with Mozilla is that it exhibits that loss of indexing more often if the number of stored headers is large. It got a lot better when I set it to delete headers 30 days or older. This didn't fix the bug but reduced the occurrence by at least 90%. Might be worth a try.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Le Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:16:36 +0000, Joerg a écrit:

Tim, which version do you use? I'm on 0.132 and never experienced that one. Rather, another one, somewhat annoying too, which hides lots of the new posts. I then can make them appear by hitting twice the "Match Only Unread Articles" button. It seems also to break a lot of threads (display messages that should be threaded as separate articles).

When I was under W2K, I had some annoying bugs too with thunderbird so I for the moment stick to pan but am still looking for a better solution. Anything you've tested and rejected, so that I don't waste my time with it?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

One possibility is that the news server lost its configuration and the counter used to generate article numbers has been reset. If this is what happened, reloading the group (More Download Options, Download All Headers) should fix it. Alternatively, try deleting the corresponding ~/.pan// file(s).

[Avoid deleting the .dat file except as a last resort, as you lose all per-group preferences, e.g. sorting order, download directory, posting profile, etc.]
Reply to
Nobody

After that, most likely all messages will be flagged "unread". I guess that won't help Tim much here ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That wouldn't bother me. As a matter of fact, I got impatient and deleted everything in my .pan directory -- all is well, except for a bit of rebuilding.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Under Mozilla and Netscape I had to do that about monthly. Thunderbird is a bit better, maybe every quarter or so. IOW a 300% improvement, in marketing speak ;-)