Ordering wrong parts for PCB assembly

Hello all,

Lately it seems I keep accidentally ordering 0603 metric parts (0201) when I type something like '0.1 uF 0603' into a quick DigiKey search to look for part numbers to specify. I tend to catch a lot of them when I try to check all the received parts against my bill of materials, but even then some of them slip through the cracks and I invariably end up having a bit of back and forth with the board house to figure out how to address each line item with a discrepancy.

Does anybody have any clever ways to catch that before actually placing ord ers for parts, or is it really a matter of just slowing down and being more careful? Specifying part numbers for every passive component line item is a bit of a drag, so I don't tend to take my time with it.

Reply to
sbattazzo

Partially I pick the package from a list. But mostly, most DigiKey part numbers for resistors and caps embed the value in the part number -- so if I already have a 1% 12.1K-ohm resistor and I need a 1% 49.9K-ohm, I just copy & paste the part number into the DigiKey search, edit the "12.1" to read "49.9", and make sure it exists at the new value.

It speeds things up, keeps me with one product line for the whole board, and (incidentally) avoids your problem.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

or makes all the parts the wrong size :P

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

But at least consistent.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Reply to
sbattazzo

The Description size/search is iffy as youu have seen. If you start by searching for all resistors, then choose the case size from the search parameter list, THAT will be consistent.

Also, start with a particular line of resistors and get the manufactures number, and just change the value code in the number rather than looking up each part individually.

Reply to
Richard Damon