onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

  We are writing a PXE driver which needs to flashed on to the EROM
present on the network card. Currently we are doing it using DOS. We
want to write the flash code using windows 2003. Can someboday point to
links about how to do it?? Do we have to write a driver for it which an
application can call or can it be done at application level using some
APIs?

Thanks
-Santosh
//WindowsFlash

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

To some extent it depends on the exact method used to flash the device.

If you need to tickle some registers on the card mapped into PCI memory
space, the easiest option may be TVICPCI. It allows application-level
access to PCI memory space.
<http://www.entechtaiwan.net/dev/pci/index.shtm

Regards,
Mark

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows
Mark, Thanks for the link. I guess it might help.
Some more details about the requirement. Yes, we need to write to the
EROM registers whose base address is mapped into PCI config space
(Expansion ROM base address).
This utility needs to be written using MFC/VC++(not necessarily) BUT
"we should  be able to flash the PXE image to EROM while running in
windows".

-Santosh

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows
Is there any other way by whcih i can do it myself instaed of  uisng
TVICPCI. If i have to write a driver for it, how to do it?? What kind
of driver it will be?? How the application should interact with it??
Can i do it at the application level itself??
Any links , samples , thoughts will be of great help.
Thanks
-Santosh

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

you can just use any freeware hardware port access DLL and write all your
application as normal win32 application.
we have done this way utilities that read write the serial eeprom on network
cards (to change mac address, etc)

Antti

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows
In my case the expansion ROM base address will be a memory mapped
address in the 32 bit address space. I don't know much about port
access dlls. Will it be able to read/write memory mapped addresses?
What are the other ways to do it??
thanks
-Santosh

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

ups sorry the free DLL mainly only have IO access and not memory acces :(
there is one memaccess unit that has free eval but did not work.

we use some other $$$ dll for memory access.
but its actually not difficult at all to write the driver yourself if you
have the MS VS stuff installed

antti

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

The price of TVICPCI is, in the context of a commercial project,
negligible. IIRC, there's a free 'nagware' version anyway.

I've written a couple of device drivers, and I've used TVIC - and I know
which I'd prefer - especially if I hadn't written a driver before.

Regards,
Mark

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows
I am a bit confused about how to go.. Can i do it at the application
level using VC++/MFC and some library or do i have to write a separate
driver to accomplish this task. If it has to be a driver what kind of
driver do i have to write??
-Santosh

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

You can't access PCI device memory space without a driver. The TVIVPCI
program provides a generic driver that allows applications to map PCI
memory space for direct access.

As for what type of driver, I'm not sure how to categorise it myself
(I've only written SCSI Miniport and HID Miniport drivers myself) but I
suspect it's a vanilla kernel mode driver. You'll need access to the PCI
PnP functionailty in order to (easily) probe for your card and access
the BAR registers.

Perhaps you should post a question on the microsoft newsgroups?

In order to write Windows drivers, it is *strongly* recommended that you
use the Windows DDK (as opposed to VC++). The latter reportedly *can* be
done, but not without a lot of mucking about - for experienced user only
apparently.

Regards,
Mark

Re: onboard EROM PXE programming in windows

You may try our new RapidDriver toolkit (ISA, PCI, USB, and parallel
port support, inc. hardware debugger):

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/dev/rapid/index.shtm

-Victor

Site Timeline